Monday, June 11, 2007

I Love it When a Plan Comes Together...

Called Casavant and asked about the organ, opus 3144. They looked it up and said it was a standard organ they sold to small chapels and practice rooms, just populate with pipes. 54 note keyboard, 30 note pedal. It was voiced at the factory and just installed in Our Lady of Hope in 1972. What an appropriate name. Same year as the Datsun 240Z. Woo Hoo!

Called Carey and they sort of knew of the organ. They were already working on the replacement organ. Was not too loud, not loud enough for that church when full of people. It would take 2 of their men an 8-hour day at $65 per hour. So there goes another $1000. They had some pipe boxes I could get. Yes, they could help me next week.

So I wrote to Ralph:

Hey,

I will buy the organ. Tell the church people. I called Casavant and Carey Organ and got all the answers I needed. Carey Organ indicated that they thought the organ was hardly ever used. I talked to Paul (Carey). He told me it would take a couple of their people and us about a (8-hour) day to pack it up. Its gonna cost me about $3000 bucks for truck rental, gas, airlines, and packing help. Whew.

Which day could we have access to the church, next Wednesday or Thursday is when I could do it. That's June 20 or June 21. I need to know to get flights arranged and truck rental dates.

As for payment. Do I pay you? I can PayPal $5000 today if you want. Then next Monday or so I can transfer the balance, or bring a bank check if you prefer. Call me 801 2261357

Be seeing you soon,

Richard Adams

I got no response all day long, so I called him, and late that night my fate was sealed. He hesitated: You want to buy the organ? Which person are you? I’m Richard in Utah. Oh good, there were quite a few people, but they never responded to my emails, and you are at the top of the list. I was worried that you weren’t Richard and I didn’t want to say yes to two people.

So I got us two one ways to Albany NY for Monday, June 18. To arrive before 7 PM when the airport shuttle to the hotel I had reserved stopped picking up at the airport, to the motel that was just 0.6 miles from the Penske truck rental location. Oh, Penske called from my website inquiry of reserving a truck which I never finished the day before. They gave me the 10% web discount and said if I joined AAA I get another 12%. So I said yes (I could still cancel up to the 17th). Pick it up Monday June 19 at 8:00 AM in Albany (1/2 mile from the motel). That way we can walk to the truck place, and return to the motel for our bags. I love it when a plan comes together.

So by the end of the day, I had an organ, a flight for me and Patty, a motel and a truck. Oh, and 8 dozen blankets. More about these later.

No comments: