Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Utah or Bust

Get up and shower again, nice room, pine motif, and OK bed. Paul is great. We walk out and Paul is there, having just gotten back from the lift return. We head for the attached Pine Grove Café at the front of the motel rooms, after checking out the interim The Chocolate Moose confectionary (good it is not open). Order omelets, and everyone is talking, and the place is packed and the lady says: You have a new organ, I hear. I reply: It is great and so is the butter drenched homemade toast.

We say good bye, brush, I put on the truck Amy’s “Organ Trail” sign, and head the wrong way into Vermont, wanting to say we have been to Vermont. We drive 10 miles in and turn around, getting $2.79 gas on the way back. Cash. Ouch.

Best discovery of the day: the Penske cigarette light is hidden behind the litter bag hanging from it! Start the music: Bohemian Rhapsody here I come.

We drive past the Pine Grove Motel again, to return the room key, and drive off. We stop at Ballston Spa, NY, for some Dunkin Donuts Boston Cremes and Pepsi’s. Mmmmm. We then trek onward, calling Lynn at the organ company as we drive by, asking directions through Albany (Just get on the toll way and take the I88 exit, no charge.) to get to I-88 down through New York to Pennsylvania. We drive down to Binghamton, NY, and take I-81 to Scranton, PA, and then on to I-80 (at last). We drive west through the Appalachians and straight to the Ohio border.

We are sad that the southern route takes us away from Kirtland, so we need to take another trip. We get on the turnpike, with toll in hand and watch as the sun goes down. After Youngstown we continue to just South of Cleveland, and get off for a motel 6 in Macedonia. I notice my feet and ankles have swollen from inactivity – a plague of age. I back up the truck to the bushes since there is no lock on the back door. 12 ½ hours, about 650 miles. About 200 songs. Whew.

No comments: